N.D. Cowboy Hall of Fame nominees announced
MANDAN Fourteen individuals have been selected as nominees for this year’s selection to the North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame.
The nominee selections were announced Saturday during the organization’s annual meeting at the Seven Seas Hotel in Mandan.
The categories for 2013 and nominees are:
– Pre-1940 Ranching: Lettie Uhlman Kellogg, McKenzie County, and Steve Weekes, Mandan/Flasher area.
– Modern-era Ranching: James Earl Mrnak, of Bowman, and Leroy “Bud” Perry, Mountrail County.
– Pre-1940 Rodeo: Henry G. “Hank” Baker, of Garrison area, and Kenneth Krueger, Embden.
– Modern-era Rodeo: Roy Bird Bear, of the Fort Berthold Reservation, Gary Graham, of Ross, Lynn Nordean Lindseth, Killdeer, and Tom Solberg, of Grassy Butte.
– Western Arts and Entertainment: Leo Harris, of Killdeer, and Bill Lowman, of Sentinel Butte.
– Great Westerner: Marquis de Mores, of Medora, and William Vose Wade, of the Standing Rock Reservation and Mandan.
The board of the N.D. Cowboy Hall of Fame goes through the nominees submitted for the year and then presents a specified number for each category to the organization’s trustees at the annual meeting. Trustees vote on the nominees by mail-in ballots and the recipients are announced later in the spring.
The board also selected the late Harold Schafer, founder of the Gold Seal Co., who invested money in the city of Medora and the Medora Musical, and Russ Danielson, of Fargo, former N.D. Cowboy Hall of Fame board member, for the Legacy Award. The award is presented by the board to individuals who donate their time, efforts and leadership to the organization. Schafer and Danielson will be inducted along with the other inductees this year.
The induction ceremony will be June 22 in Medora.
During the trustees meeting Saturday, Bob Knudson, of Minot, announced that he was stepping down as the trustees’ chairman. Paul Christensen, of Sawyer, was elected to replace Knudson. Knudson will continue as District 5 (Ward, Bottineau, McHenry and Renville counties district) chairman.