House fire strikes, Red Cross helps

Around the hour of 1 a.m. Tuesday, when a lot of people have probably settled in for a night’s slumber, a house fire awakened two families residing in northeast Minot. The house, located on the 900 block of Second Street Northeast, sustained a significant amount of interior damage from smoke.

According to Ed Hausauer, fire marshal with the Minot Fire Department, an electrical outlet had a device plugged into it that would alert a person who’s hearing impaired to the doorbell ringing. There was a failure in the device that caused smoke and heat damage to a bathroom and upstairs part of the house. Between the damage from the smoke and heat, Hausauer thought there is probably $25,000 worth of damage and the bathroom will have to be rebuilt. The rest of the second floor will probably take an extensive amount of time to fix up, he added.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross responded to the house fire, according to a press release. There were no known injuries from this incident, but the two families were affected and displaced due to smoke damage. One family is receiving assistance with food and lodging at a “Rooms for Red Cross” partner hotel. The other family is assumed to be staying with relatives or friends. Volunteers will be reaching out to meet with that family to address any immediate needs.

Brian Shawn, Regional Communications Officer for the American Red Cross Dakotas Region, said it will be a waiting game to see how much damage has been done to the house. When the families can return to their home will also depend on how soon contractors can be hired to fix up the interior of the house. “But it won’t be this weekend,” Hausauer said.

The Red Cross responds to over 50,000 house fires each year. The Red Cross relies on the help of the public to continue their helpful efforts with providing immediate food, shelter, emotional support and clothing needs. People can help or make a donation to the Red Cross by visiting the website at redcross.org or by calling 852-2828.